Fire Permits

How to Obtain a Fire Permit

Fire Permits can be obtained from the Easton Town Office during regular business hours of 8 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 8 AM to 6 PM on Tuesday, and 8 AM to 3 PM on Friday. There is no fee for this permit. Starting March 1, 2014, you may purchase a 2-day burn permit online for $7. To obtain a burn permit online, click here. Permits for the year are only available at the Town Office.


Regardless of whether a permit is required or issued you may be asked to discontinue burning if there is a burning ban in effect. Click here to find out if there is a burn ban in effect.  You may not burn paper, cardboard, plastic, rubber, Styrofoam, metals, food wastes, chemicals, treated wood, or other solid waste. You must comply with all laws and regulations of the Maine Forest Service, Department of Environmental Protection, local ordinances and conditions, or restrictions stated on the fire permit. You shall be liable for suppression cost due to negligence
or not following safety requirements listed on the fire permit. The Easton Fire Department restricts the burning of brush or grass to less than 10 mph.

Junkyard Permit

The Automobile Graveyard/Junkyard Ordinance of the Town of Easton was enacted pursuant to MRSA Title 30-A, Section 3001, and Section 3755. The purpose of the ordinance is to provide adequate controls to ensure that automobile graveyards, automobile recycling businesses, and junkyards do not have a deleterious impact on the Town’s health and safety, general welfare, and property values.

As per the ordinance, any person owning and/or operating an automobile graveyard or junkyard must obtain a non-transferable permit signed by the Board of Selectmen. All permits, whether new or renewal, shall be issued annually. Permits shall become effective October 2nd and expire October 1st of each year. The annual fee is $50.

To apply for a permit, the applicant must complete the Automobile Graveyard/Junkyard Application and submit it to the Town Clerk, along with the $50 annual fee. Once the Town Clerk receives the application and fee, a public hearing notice will be posted. The public hearing will be held at the next scheduled Board of Selectmen’s meeting. Once a public hearing has been held on the application, the Board of Selectmen will vote to approve or deny the application. The application is returned to the Town Clerk, and if approved, a permit will be issued.