James P. Gardner, Jr.
Phone: (207) 488-6652
Fax: (207) 488-7706
The Selectman-Manager form of local government combines the political leadership of elected officials in the form of a Board of Selectmen with the managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The Town Manager is appointed by the Board of Selectmen, who in turn appoints and manages all other Town department directors.
The Town Manager is the chief administrative officer of the Town of Easton, and is responsible for the management of all Town affairs as provided for in the Town Charter. The Manager oversees each of the town departments, and is responsible for their performance.
The Town Manager assumes responsibility for:
- Overseeing day-to-day operations
- Hiring, supervising, and evaluating town personnel
- Developing and administering town policies and procedures
- Recommending policies or programs to the Board of Selectmen
- Overseeing the preparation of the annual municipal budget
- Attending and participating in Board of Selectmen meetings and various committee meetings
- Ensuring citizen recommendations and/or complaints are handled in a timely and professional manner
- Representing the Town at inter-governmental meetings, and serving on a variety of boards, committees, and commissions